Monday, September 8, 2008

The Stars are Bashful

From the beginning of time man has looked to the stars.










Download The Stars are Bashful Audio


"You have got to believe me, you have got to, you don't understand what is at stake here."
"Yes, tell me again" the Sgt. said with a smug look on his face. "What is at stake?"
"All of us. They said we would all be a risk if we didn't stop."
"If we don't stop what?" he said the edge returning to his voice.
"Come on we have been through this all ready."
"All we have been through is this wild story you have told us. You have not told us why you were trying to break into the space center or what you were going to do there." The Major leaned in closely and spoke in a quiet voice.
"Son, why don't you start from the beginning again."
"Look I told you. I was out in the desert about a week ago. At least I think it was a week ago. What year did you say it was?"
"Not now, just keep going."
"Alright so, I was out there and the next thing I knew the stars kind of winked out. Not one at a time or anything, but all at once. At first I thought I was dreaming but then I heard them talking to me."
"What are you doing?"
"It was a soft voice very peaceful feeling nothing threatening. So I told it I was out here to look at the stars."
"Why do you do that?"
"Because they are beautiful, and because we have been trying to reach them since the beginning of time."
"That is not wise. You are not ready."
"Me, no, you are right, I have not had any training to go into space, but man I would love to some day."
"Not just you, your whole race is not ready."
"The voice changed them some how it became, well, different. So I looked and the face that was looking back at me was not at all human. I can't really describe it other than to say that it was not human."
"Your species is not ready to reach for the stars. We have come to warn you."
"We? Who are you?"
"You do not need to worry, we mean you no harm. But we must warn you. There are things outside the safety of your planet that you are not ready for."
"What do you mean?"
"You must tell them to stop exploring outer space. We will return when you are ready. We would have come sooner when you first launched yourselves into space, but we did not think you would try so soon and it is a very long journey from our home."
"We can't go into space any more?"
"No! Not yet. You are not ready."
"But we have worked so hard."
"You are not ready. We will return when you are and help you."
"Then they were gone."
"So it was a warning?" The major asked leaning back in his chair.
"Yes."
"And they did not tell you why, just that we are not ready."
"That is right."
"Nothing else."
"Nope."
"Ok boys just another nut job who saw a UFO. Take him to the tank for the night and we will figure out what to do with him in the morning."
"They said ask Glenn what he saw if you want proof." I screamed as they grabbed my arms. "They said he would have been the first one high enough to see it."
"What he saw were ice crystals."
"They said there would be danger with every further launch."
"Take him away boys."
*****
"Ten Days later when the shuttle didn't return, and the sky was suddenly filled with radio static, and no stars could be seen they let me go. From the beginning of time we have looked to the stars, who would have thought they didn't want us to."

0 comments: